Please follow this page as any new information from Church leadership will be posted here. (Last Updated: Sunday, May 24, 2020 5:30 P.M.)
Great Hope Family,
I wanted each of you to know that the church will be offering transportation for our members if you are in need. This would include taking you to doctor's appointments, grocery store trips, or picking up prescriptions. Your destination must be specific and the van driver will take you to the place you have indicated. For example: If you request to go to a doctor's appointment, we cannot take you to get groceries afterwards.
In order to assist you, you must call the church office 3 days in advance to schedule with the van drivers. Please leave a detailed message; your first and last name, the time you called, and a working telephone number so that we may contact you back.
We hope this will take the stress off of you during this COVID pandemic. May God bless each of you.
Statement from Pastor Shearin (Saturday, March 21, 2020 8:00 P.M.)
I pray that you are well, practicing good “social distancing” and making sure you are keeping your hands clean. Currently as a nation, we are going through some of the toughest times we have ever experienced. Health officials at the federal, state, and local level have mandated that all religious organizations follow the guidelines that have been outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in regard to COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
This novel coronavirus is a pandemic which has changed life as we know it.
- All Fifty States have confirmed cases
- The European Union has closed its borders for 30 days
- The Canadian border has been closed
- Millions across the United States have been put under lock-down
- Governments are putting large sums of money into economies to keep industries from collapsing etc.
Each year, the Baptist Ministers Conference of Richmond & Vicinity host the city-wide Revival at Cedar Street Baptist Church. This event is a gathering of hundreds of worshipers representing churches across the city and counties. Sadly, I must inform you that someone who was attending the Wednesday night service on March 11th had tested positive for the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). First, we pray that this individual will fully recover and will soon be able to enjoy a normal life.
With that being said, on March 17th, 2020, I was on a conference call with Mayor Levar Stoney and Dr. Danny Avula of the Richmond City Director of Health. Area leaders including Governor Ralph Northam have issued orders mandating that all churches in the Commonwealth follow the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines in reference to worship services. Currently the CDC, along with the Trump Administration has stated that no more than 10 people should gather in one place. As you all know state and local governments have shut down schools and businesses. The Governor and the Mayor have suggested that churches not conduct in-person services for a minimum of 8 weeks. The downside to these measures is acutely realized by Great Hope Baptist Church. As a small church, we depend heavily on the entire Great Hope family to help us survive. Therefore, the leaders and I have come up with a plan to help us through these upcoming weeks.
Beginning Sunday, April 5, 2020, GHBC will offer communion each Sunday. For those who cannot make it on April 5th, you have the option to participate in Communion in an alternate Sunday.
Sermons will be live streamed each Sunday at 11 a.m.
- The Prayer line is available for those who do not have social media capabilities that number is 712-432-6301 and the pass-code is 202664. I would ask that all whom connect via teleconference/prayer line please mute your phones after connecting. This eliminates background noise and enables others to hear the word.
- Great Hope will also stream the services live on our social media platforms including Facebook Live and YouTube.
- All Church Activities: Choir Rehearsals, Spring Revival in April, will be postponed until further notice.
Each Sunday, you will be provided a Bible Study packet to read and review.
On every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m., I will do a live Bible Study on the Prayer Line, Facebook Live and the GHBC YouTube channel. I would ask that all whom connect via teleconference/prayer line please mute your phones after connecting. This eliminates background noise and enables others to hear the word.
These new regulations will go into effect immediately. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your Deacon Liaison. If you do not know who your Deacon Liaison is, please call or e-mail the church.
Lastly, the COVID-19 pandemic coupled with our public health protective measures have impacted our ability to respond to the passing of Deaconess Robin Hill. Sadly, Deaconess Robin Hill passed away. Due to the restrictions on public gatherings the viewing and funeral for Deaconess Hill will be as follows:
- There will be a viewing on Friday March 20th from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at J.M. Wilkerson Funeral Home 102 South Ave Petersburg Virginia.
- On Saturday, March, 21st at 11 a.m., there will be the celebration of life also at J.M. Wilkerson’s Funeral Home 102 South Ave Petersburg Virginia.
- Interment will be at Oakwood Cemetery immediately after the celebration of life. Oakwood Cemetery is located at 3101 Nine Mile Rd Richmond VA
Great Hope, this is not information that I wanted to share; however, I must make sure that you all remain aware and protected. This is certainly a trying time for many people. I know that God will get us through this. For the Bible tells us; Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Great Hope be blessed. I love each of you.
Additional resources regarding the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found below:
Great Hope Baptist Church is not responsible for the information contained on these or other external sites. Great Hope Baptist Church cannot guarantee the accuracy of information, timeliness of information, and/or reliability of data. Please consider your sources for information carefully.